"A Boy and His Dog" is the eighth episode of the first season of Bates Motel. It aired on May 6, 2013.
Emma's father, Will, teaches Norman taxidermy after Norman takes his dead dog to him. Norman's school principal calls Norma about Norman's recent behavior. Norma agrees to have Norman meet with a psychologist, who suggests Norma herself may have control issues over her son. Bradley is upset that Norman told Emma they had sex, calling it a mistake. Norman is angry that Emma told Bradley's friends he and Bradley had sex; Emma explains she was sticking up for Norman because Bradley's friends were saying Norman would never have a chance with Bradley. Jake reveals to Norma that he knows the full story about Shelby and Summers; she later kicks Jake out in retaliation. Norma meets the trimmers Dylan had picked up earlier and gives them all rooms at the motel. She decides to take Dylan out to dinner to thank him for bringing new customers, but is horrified to see the autopsied corpse of Zack Shelby on her bed.
- Vera Farmiga as Norma Bates
- Freddie Highmore as Norman Bates
- Max Thieriot as Dylan Massett
- Olivia Cooke as Emma Decody
- Nicola Peltz as Bradley Martin
- Jere Burns as Jake Abernathy
- Nestor Carbonell as Alex Romero
- Ben Cotton as Danny
- Vincent Gale as Gil
- Ian Hart as Will Decody
- Paul Jarrett as Tom Hutchins
- Hiro Kanagawa as Dr. Kurata
- Ian Tracey as Remo
- Keegan Connor Tracy as Miss Watson
- This episode was watched by 2.71 million viewers.
- In the scene where Dylan and Remo fight, the beer that they drank has a "Dharma" logo on it. This is a reference to Lost, another show created by Carlton Cuse. In Lost, "Dharma" refers to a certain group of scientists, and the logo appears numerous times throughout the series.